The German Church Sydenham was founded in 1876 by wealthy German businessmen and craftsmen who moved from the dirty city of London to the quiet suburb of Forest Hill. In the second world war, the church building was destroyed by German bombs. In 1959, a new building was erected on the site, which today is the centre of the church life.
The building includes the church, a community hall and function rooms, which are used by numerous groups: The German congregations with its groups and events, the German Saturday School, the Ichthus Fellowship, the German Kindergarten and the flute ensemble "Bonhoeffer Consort".
The Dietrich Bonhoeffer church is place of encounter for people of many different backgrounds.
A service (in German) is celebrated on the second and fourth Sunday of the month; there is always a children's service at the same time.
The congregation also includes four external southern groups. Here, too, there are regular worship services and afternoon talks:
Dietrich-Bonhoeffer-Gemeinde in Sydenham, Forest Hill
Dietrich Bonhoeffer in Sydenham around 1934
Dietrich Bonhoeffer was the minister of the German congregation from 1933 to 1935. The congregation feels a special responsibility to cherish his spiritual and ethical legacy to this day.
D. Bonhoeffer with confirmees
The church around 1937